An NYC motorcycle accident lawyer can help you after another motorist crashes into you. You may suffer damages following your motorcycle accident, including physical, emotional, and property damages. Learn how personal injury lawyers well-versed in motorcycle accidents can help.
If You’ve Been Injured in a Motorcycle Accident, We Can Help
A motorcyclist is 27 times more likely to die and 5 times more likely to be injured in a vehicle crash than an occupant of a passenger car. Motorcycles give people the opportunity to use a form of transportation that is convenient, cheaper to fuel and easier to park than other types of vehicles. However, motorcyclists are also much more vulnerable to crashes and injuries than other motorists, a fact which highlights the need for safe driving on behalf of motorcyclists and the drivers they share the road with.
A motorcycle accident lawyer at Tucker Lawyers PC can help you take the next step if you’ve been the victim of another driver’s negligence.
Our motorcycle accident attorneys in NYC have decades of experience handling claims ranging from road rash to wrongful death lawsuits, and we are here to help you maximize your recovery and get the medical attention that you need.
Why Choose Our New York Motorcycle Accident Attorneys
When you have been injured in an NYC motorcycle crash, you need to find a motorcycle accident lawyer you can trust. The quality of personal injury attorneys in New York City can vary. Some may not have much experience in motor vehicle accidents, while others may have decades of background in motorcycle accidents in NYC, just like yours.
Ultimately, you need a motorcycle accident attorney in NYC who will secure the best possible results based on your case details. Tucker Lawyers PC is an excellent personal injury law firm with skilled attorneys who have an outstanding record working with NYC motorcycle accident lawsuits.
At Tucker Lawyers PC, our results speak for themselves. Our attorneys have secured millions of dollars in damage awards and settlements for our clients. No case is too large or too small for our personal injury lawyers in Manhattan. We have successfully taken on cases with damages ranging from millions of dollars to just a few thousand.
You can be sure our motorcycle accident lawyers will fight for the damages and settlements you deserve. Examples of our previous recoveries for clients include:
- Recovery of $1.35 million
- Recovery of $950,000
- Recovery of $525,000
- Recovery of $500,000
Not every case we work on involves damages worth hundreds of thousands of dollars. Even if your damages are just a few thousand dollars, our NYC motorcycle accident lawyers want you to recover the monetary compensation you deserve.
Some of our cases with less severe damages have featured recoveries under $25,000, including:
- Recovery of $22,500
- Recovery of $18,500
- Recovery of $12,500
- Recovery of $7,500
- Recovery of $3,600
If you have been involved in a motorcycle accident in New York City, there is a good chance that you suffered personal injuries and property damage. Our superb legal team will match you with the NYC motorcycle accident lawyer who is right for your case.
Contact us today at (516) 399-2364 to arrange your free, no-obligation consultation.
How We Can Help
Following a traumatic bike accident, you may wonder how an NYC motorcycle accident lawyer can help. The truth is that each of our cases is unique. We cannot know the full extent of your needs until we speak with you directly.
However, we can explain how we have helped previous motorcycle accident clients. Our clients who have suffered from NYC motorcycle accidents often have similar personal injury and property damages.
Your lawyer may be able to help you recover the following property damages:
- Motorcycle repairs or replacement. There is a good chance that your motorcycle was damaged or completely totaled in the motorcycle crash. The court may order the negligent party to replace your motorcycle or repair the damages they caused. Depending on the make and model of your bike, this could represent a significant amount of compensation.
- Electronic items. If you were carrying electronic items like a laptop, you could receive compensation based on their value and the damage inflicted.
- Personal items. You may have suffered personal items being lost, damaged, or destroyed during the motorcycle accident. Personal items such as designer clothing, accessories, and wedding rings can be damaged or destroyed during a motorcycle accident.
- Other items. Anything lost, damaged, or destroyed may be eligible for compensation.
Your NYC motorcycle accident lawyer may help you recover the following personal injury damages:
- Medical expenses. Many motorcycle accidents involve physical injuries requiring medical attention. You may be eligible to have your medical bills and related costs compensated.
- Future medical expenses. Some injuries may affect you for several years or the rest of your life. The court will consider any necessary future medical expenses and compensate you fairly for these future damages.
- Lost wages. Following a serious motorcycle accident, you may not be capable of returning to work for a few days or many months.
- Lost future wages. In some tragic cases, you may suffer a severe injury that prevents you from returning to your chosen profession or any profession. A lawyer can help convince the court of fair compensation for your loss.
- Pain and suffering. You may be eligible to receive compensation for the physical pain and suffering you endured due to your motorcycle accident.
- Loss of enjoyment. After a devastating accident, you may lose the ability to enjoy activities that were previously enjoyable and important to your life. Your lawyer can help you seek fair compensation for this loss.
- Mental anguish and emotional distress. Motorcycle accidents can cause mental stress, torment, and anxiety. A victim can suffer from mental as well as physical symptoms. The court may award compensation for the mental suffering you now endure.
- Loss of consortium. When a motorcycle accident negatively impacts aspects of your marriage related to companionship, sexual relations, affection, love, and society, the court may grant your spouse damages to compensate for this loss.
Not every motorcycle accident victim qualifies for each type of damage award. If you are unsure if an item qualifies as an eligible damage, your motorcycle accident lawyer can help you create a list of all damages you have suffered due to the motorcycle accident and their associated value.
Creating an extensive damages list helps you understand the total value of your New York City personal injury claim.
Motorcycle Crashes are Different Than Other Types of Accidents
When two passenger vehicles collide, the occupants are often shielded from much of the impact. Motorcyclists are far more vulnerable to the force of a serious crash. Motorcyclists are often directly impacted by another vehicle and the concrete. That’s why the fatality rates for motorcycle crashes are so much higher than for occupants of passenger vehicles.
The injuries that bikers suffer in serious crashes are not only severe, they are also costly and debilitating. A motorcyclist’s injuries can greatly reduce their ability to earn an income and perform routine tasks. In other words, the stakes are often high for an injured motorcyclist, and their legal representative needs to know what they’re doing.
Understanding the Process
While each case is different, there are some common processes that you can expect when filing a personal injury claim after a motorcycle accident.
- Meeting with an Attorney – First, you’ll meet with a motorcycle accident attorney in NYC to discuss your case. You’ll review the accident, talk about your injuries and how they’ve affected you and your loved ones. If you decide to move forward, you’ll learn how your attorney plans to proceed with your case.
- Preparing and Filing the Claim – Your attorney will get to work on your behalf, conducting investigations, interviewing witnesses, consulting experts and preparing materials to present your case. This phase of filing a claim involves many routine procedures that your attorney will handle. You will be informed about the progress of your claim, and all your questions will be addressed.
- Settlement vs. Trial – A claim generally has one of two outcomes. A settlement occurs when the two sides of a claim come to an agreement on how much the injured motorcyclist will be paid. If no agreement is reached, the matter will go to trial where both sides will present their cases before a judge and a jury.
Many claims are settled before they need to go to trial. At Tucker Lawyers PC, we approach each case with the intention of taking it all the way to court, if necessary. We want to be sure that even if a claim results in a settlement, the other side knows that we are prepared to see our client’s case through to the end. The choice to proceed to trial is yours, and we will make sure that you have all the information you need to make a decision you feel comfortable with.
Safety Tips for Motorcyclists
There are Some Steps That Motorcyclists Can Take to Make Their Rides a Safe One:
- Wear a Department of Transportation-approved helmet.
- Wear lightweight, breathable material that has heavy-duty armor panels along the spine, torso, shoulders, and elbows.
- Ride defensively, assume that the drivers of the cars around you have not seen you.
- Provide a safe distance between your motorcycle and other vehicles on the road.
Unfortunately, not all accidents can be avoided. If you have been injured due to the negligence of another driver or because of a roadway defect, you should call an experienced NYC motorcycle accident lawyer at Tucker Lawyers PC. Our legal team has been helping injured riders for decades, and we are here to help you as well.
If your motorcycle insurance will not pay for your medical bills or associated expenses, it is imperative that you contact us immediately so we can investigate and confirm who was responsible for your accident and hold those parties accountable. The consultation is free, and we charge no legal fee unless we win your case.
Safety Tips for Those Sharing the Road with Motorcyclists
Reducing the number of motorcycle crashes will also require the efforts of other drivers. Here are a few tips to keep in mind:
- Be mindful of blind spots and always use a turn signal when making turns in the vicinity of motorcyclists. Around 40 percent of collisions involving a motorcycle and another vehicle occur when the other vehicle is making a left turn.
- Allow motorcyclists a full lane to drive in.
- Allow plenty of space when driving behind motorcyclists, especially when road conditions are even slightly hazardous.
- Always assume that a motorcycle is closer than it appears when you are at an intersection. Because they are smaller in size, it can be more difficult to judge their distance and speed.
Helmet Laws in New York
New York law requires motorcycle drivers and passengers to wear helmets. The law also requires riders of motorcycles to wear protective eyewear. The helmets must meet the Department of Transportation and Consumer Product Safety Commission Standards. Many “novelty” helmets do not meet these requirements. Most of the helmets you purchase from credible retailers meet the guidelines, but it’s always best to double-check when purchasing a helmet.
Studies suggest that motorcycle helmets are 67 percent effective in preventing brain injuries and 37 percent effective in preventing fatal injuries to motorcyclists. Head injuries are the leading cause of death in motorcycle crashes.
Injuries and Fatalities in Motorcycle Injuries
As we can see, motorcyclists are particularly vulnerable to the serious injuries that occur in vehicle crashes. These injuries can come in many forms and are often suffered in conjunction with one another. A few examples include:
- Traumatic Brain Injuries
- Spinal Cord Injury
- Broken Bones (such as Ankle and Wrist Fractures)
- Organ Damage
- Road Rash
- Wrongful Death.
What to Do After a Motorcycle Crash
If you are involved in a motorcycle accident, you should contact 911 immediately. If you are injured, or even if you suspect that you might be injured, request an ambulance. After a crash, people are often more injured than they realize, simply because our adrenaline spikes and masks the extent of injuries. When the police arrive at the scene, answer their questions and cooperate to the best of your ability. The police will later file a report, which will be reviewed by you, your attorney and insurance companies.
After seeking medical attention, be sure to follow all of your doctor’s advice. Don’t try to fight through the pain to go to work or do anything else that might jeopardize your health or impede your recovery. Keep copies of bills or any other documents related to your medical care.
Keep track of any other bills, letters or documents you receive related to the crash. This includes motorcycle repair bills and letters from insurance companies. These documents will help your attorney determine how much money you should seek in a claim.
Consider contacting a motorcycle accident attorney as soon as possible after your crash. Some people wait until there is a dispute with an insurance company or until it becomes obvious that the other driver was at fault for the accident. While it’s okay to contact an attorney after it becomes clear that legal action is necessary, there’s nothing wrong with contacting an attorney right after a crash. An attorney will be able to walk you through the process, explore your options and help you avoid any pitfalls that you might encounter without the aid of a legal professional.
Common Causes of Motorcycle Accidents
Like most crashes, motorcycle accidents are usually the result of human error. Human error comes in many forms, though in many motorcycle crashes, it includes…
- Driver distraction
- Driver impairment
- Driver fatigue
- Failure to give a motorcyclist adequate space
- Failure to signal when changing lanes or making a turn
- Failure to follow traffic signs and signals
- Failure to adjust driving for bad weather or heavy traffic.
Drivers have a responsibility to share the road safely with motorcyclists. If a driver acts without regard to the safety of their fellow motorists, they can be held accountable for the harm their careless driving has caused.
Frequently Asked Questions Regarding NYC Motorcycle Accident Lawsuits
An NYC motorcycle accident can leave you with a lot of questions. While each legal claim is different, many of the questions are the same. The following are a list of common questions asked by our clients and our answers.
Do I need an attorney to handle my NYC motorcycle accident claim?
No, you are allowed to handle your motorcycle accident lawsuit in New York City without an attorney. However, the legal process can be challenging. A lawyer can make the process significantly easier and may increase your chance of success.
Does fault matter in New York motorcycle accidents?
Yes, fault is one of the most important aspects of your NYC claim. Your lawyer can explain how fault will impact your claim. The courts treat motorcycle accidents differently than other vehicle accidents in New York. However, you still have options that your lawyer can explain.
How long do I have to file an NYC motorcycle accident claim?
The statute of limitations for your motorcycle accident case is three years for personal injury and two years for wrongful death. If you have exceeded the deadline, speak to Tucker Lawyers PC as soon as possible to determine if your case is eligible for exceptions.
Can I bring a claim if the other driver wasn’t 100% responsible for the motorcycle accident?
Yes. If you were 25% at fault for the accident, the court could order the other party to pay 75% of the damages they were responsible for.
Our lawyers have generalized the answers to these questions. Your accident could be the exception to the rule or involve unique details which change the outcome. Contact Tucker Lawyer PC to have your questions answered in light of the particular facts of your case. Call (516) 399-2364
Hurt in a Motorcycle Accident? Contact the Motorcycle Accident Lawyers at Tucker Lawyers PC.
What to Look for in a Motorcycle Accident Attorney
Ideally, you want a personal injury attorney with a track record of successfully handling motorcycle accidents. Don’t be shy about asking a potential attorney about their experience with these types of crashes. They’ll be able to tell you what they’ve achieved on behalf of their clients and how they can use that experience to maximize your chances of a successful claim.
A skilled motorcycle accident attorney knows that each case is different and requires a great deal of research and preparation to get maximum results. At Tucker Lawyers PC, we’ll investigate the circumstances surrounding your case to determine who was responsible for your injuries and how much you should seek in a claim, and we’ll build your case to ensure you get payment that reflects the damages you’ve encountered.
Determining Fault in a Motorcycle Crash
The majority of all vehicle crashes are due to human error. It is often the driver of the other vehicle, and not the motorcyclist, who was responsible for a multi-vehicle crash. Whether due to driver distraction, impaired driving or reckless driving practices such as speeding or failing to notice another vehicle when changing lanes, there can be a number of contributing factors that lead to one single crash. Determining fault in a motorcycle crash means examining and investigating many different aspects of the incident. An New York experienced motorcycle accident attorney will be able to investigate the facts of a case and determine who was at fault in the crash.
The Costs of Filing a Motorcycle Accident Personal Injury Claim
How much you’ll spend filing a claim depends on the firm you choose to work with. At Tucker Lawyers PC, we work on a contingency fee basis. This means that if we don’t win your case, you owe use nothing. We know how important your case is, and we know the costs of a serious injury can be substantial. Our team wants to ensure that you don’t face financial repercussions if your claim is unsuccessful.
We also offer free consultations to help you better understand your legal options. If you are on the fence about filing a claim, then feel free to reach out to our firm and schedule a consultation. You are not obligated to proceed with a claim if you don’t feel comfortable doing so. If you do choose to file a claim, know that if you don’t get paid, we don’t either.
The NYC motorcycle accident lawyers at Tucker Lawyers PC care about our local community. We understand that even a minor motorcycle accident can leave you hurt, traumatized, and unsure of your next steps. We are here to help you recover the damages you deserve so you can move forward with your life.
Contact the motorcycle accident lawyers at Tucker Lawyers PC today. Call us at (516) 399-2364.
“Having worked in the legal field for years primarily in a real estate background, I was very pleased when this office so generously welcomed me to their personal injury team. I was delighted to see the level of poise and persistence that is used by this group in each and every case. This office truly stands behind each client and fights to receive the best possible outcome. Each person here has contributed their own level of dedication to the development of this firm and I foresee it only going in a positive direction from here. I couldn’t ask to be part of a better atmosphere and cannot thank them enough for this opportunity. Being here only furthers the ability for everyone involved, both clients and employees alike, to grow and enhance the solidarity behind Tucker Lawyers.” – Beth (Google Review)
Managing Attorney John. J. Tucker, Esq.
John has personally handled thousands of clients who were victims of another’s negligence and fights relentlessly for their rights. John enjoys bringing closure to a client’s matter so that the injured party can move forward with their life. His background enables him to evaluate complex liability related claims and bring resolution to claims in a record time frame. [ Attorney Bio ]