Hurt in a Car Accident? Worried About Expenses?
Our NYC Car Accident Lawyers are Here to Help
If you or a loved one has been injured in a vehicle accident due to someone else’s negligence or fault, you may be entitled to compensation for your losses. New York City laws regarding personal injury are complicated, and making mistakes can cost you the compensation you deserve. It is important to know what your rights are and how to proceed to get a fair settlement.
Fortunately, you do not have fight for compensation alone. Whether you are trying to collect from insurance or bring a lawsuit, the New York City car accident attorneys of Tucker Law PC are here to help. We want to make the process as simple and pain-free as possible. That’s why we offer a free consultation so you can tell us about the accident and your injuries, and we can lay out the options you have going forward.
Our NYC Car Accident Lawyer at Tucker Lawyers Can Help You Now
Car accidents are all too common in New York City traffic, and being involved in a crash is a traumatic experience that can lead to devastating injuries, property damage, and death. Survivors must deal with recovering from their injuries and mounting medical bills at a time when they may be unable to work, and they may never be the same again.
There are plenty of ways that a car accident lawyer from our team can help you if you have been involved in a motor vehicle accident. Some of the ways we can assist you include:
- We can collect key evidence related to your accident.
- We can review your medical records to strengthen your case and figure out how much your case is worth.
- We can negotiate with the other driver’s lawyer or the insurance company.
- We can keep a tabulation of all of the bills and expenses you have incurred as a result of your accident.
- We can communicate directly with your healthcare providers to obtain missing records that might be needed to support your case.
- We can organize all of the evidence to prove liability and support your claim.
- If you do have to go to court, we can act as your guide and make sure you are prepared and comfortable.
For all of these reasons, count on our team to represent you following a New York City car accident. We know that suing another driver and their insurance company can feel overwhelming, especially if you are injured, going to lots of doctor appointments, and don’t feel well. Count on our NYC car accident attorney to represent you, protect your rights, and defend your interests.
Why Work With Tucker Lawyers After Your NYC Car Accident?
OUR CAR ACCIDENT LAWYERS IN NYC KNOW WHAT IT TAKES TO WIN YOUR CASE.
At our law firm, you will work with a New York City car accident lawyer who has a winning track record and provides top-notch client service
Our attorneys have won large settlements and jury awards on behalf of clients who have been injured in car accidents, and they are prepared to work hard to see that you get the compensation you deserve for what you’ve been through.
Our car accident lawyers will:
- Listen to your version of what happened, determine whether you have a valid case, and estimate what a fair settlement should be
- Make sure you get the medical treatment you need and that everything is properly documented
- Take care of all legal matters, filings, deadlines, and court appearances
- Investigate your case, gathering evidence such as photos and videos from surveillance cameras, and interview witnesses and first responders
- Hire experts to reconstruct the crash scene and provide testimony as to what happened and experts to testify as to how your injuries affect your life
- Handle communications and negotiations with the insurance company and their lawyers
- Take your case to court and handle all aspects of a trial if necessary.
Count on a car accident lawyer from our team to represent you.
What Damage Awards Can Our New York Car Accident Lawyers Win for You?
OUR NYC CAR ACCIDENT ATTORNEYS CAN WIN COMPENSATION THAT COVERS ALL YOUR MONETARY EXPENSES AS WELL AS NON-ECONOMIC DAMAGES.
If your crash was caused by a negligent driver, a skilled New York City car accident lawyer like the ones at Tucker Lawyers can make sure you’re compensated for all the expenses you have faced and are likely to experience in the future.
Damages and compensation can cover numerous bills you may have incurred, such as:
- Medical expenses – Medical bills are some of the biggest expenses facing people that have been injured in car accidents. It’s not unusual for a New York City car accident to leave victims with bills for doctor visits, hospitalization, rehabilitation, physical therapy, tests, treatments and medications. All of these things can be included in your claim against the parties responsible for your injuries.
- Property damage – Even collisions that result in what seems to be “just a dent” can leave a driver with a repair bill in the thousands. Regardless of the extent of the property damage you have faced, under New York City law you are entitled to hold the at-fault driver responsible for the costs of repair bills or the replacement of your vehicle.
- Lost income – If you were hurt in a car accident, it’s likely you had to miss time at work. For some workers, this means lost income. Victims of very serious car accidents might never be able to do the same kind of work or to work at full capacity. Permanent disability is a tragic result of some catastrophic crashes. At Tucker Lawyers, we make sure that all past and future income lost because of a driver’s negligence is factored into your claim.
- Pain and suffering – In addition to monetary losses, a New York City car accident can have consequences that aren’t so apparent. What your accident has cost you in emotional pain and suffering can also be considered damages in a car accident claim. If your mental health has suffered, or if you have developed PTSD, you may be able to recover compensation for that trauma.
A good car accident lawyer will make sure your demand reflects all of the costs you are facing. Make sure you hire an attorney who knows how to prepare your case so that your compensation will cover all of the damages you are owed.
Our Car Accident Lawyers in NYC Answer Your Questions
FAQs ABOUT CAR ACCIDENTS
It’s only natural to have questions after a car accident. Here are some answers to questions our attorneys are often asked:
How Much Compensation Could I Receive for My Car Accident?
Put simply, that depends on the details. Every vehicle crash is different, and so the financial compensation is going to vary. Generally, the more severe the injury and the higher the medical bills, the greater the financial compensation will be. If multiple passengers were injured, that can affect the financial award, too. There are other factors that come into play, such as who was at fault, weather conditions, whether a motorist has a history of driving violations and whether substance abuse was involved, just to name a few.
When should I hire an NYC car accident lawyer?
You should hire a car accident lawyer as soon as possible after the accident to avoid making costly mistakes or saying something that could ruin your chances of getting the settlement you deserve. Your lawyer has the experience necessary to know the best way to proceed, so let an NYC accident lawyer handle everything correctly from the start.
What If I Was Partially at Fault for the Car Accident?
For situations where you have done something that contributed to the car accident and are found to be partially at fault, you can still collect damages, but your award will be adjusted accordingly.
New York considers “pure comparative negligence” in a lawsuit (NY CVP §1411 Article 14-A). This means a judge or jury, and an insurance company as well, will compare fault for each party and calculate the percentage that each driver was at fault and award for damages based on this percentage.
Are There Time Limits for Filing a Car Accident Claim?
New York has a statute of limitations, a time limit for filing personal injury. Under NY Civil Practice Laws & Rules Section 214, you must file a lawsuit within three years from the date of the incident. Except for some rare exceptions, if you let this deadline expire, the courts are likely to dismiss your case.
How Does a Car Accident Settlement Work?
A settlement usually requires a significant amount of negotiations between the legal representatives of the parties involved in the lawsuit. These typically take place in a lawyer’s office or conference room. The process can be quick (resolved in a matter of several days or weeks) or take more time (several months or longer), depending on the complexities of the case. An offer to settle may be made at any point in the litigation process — even after a trial has started.
What Is the Process After I Hire an NYC Car Accident Attorney?
At Tucker Lawyers, we work to make the process as easy and streamlined as possible. First, you will meet in person with your car accident lawyer and review the facts of the case. We will listen as you describe what happened and how your life has changed since the accident. As we listen and gather details, we will begin to formulate a powerful legal argument on your behalf. We will examine pictures of the accident scene, interview eyewitnesses, review New York City case law, read the police report, pore over evidence, and even hire expert witnesses if needed.
Our car accident attorneys in NYC leave no stone unturned when finding evidence and reports that will help build a strong case for you. During the process, we will stay in contact with you so you will know what is going on in your case. We understand that you may be anxious and fearful about the legal process, so we are always available to answer any questions you may have. We value the trust you put in Tucker Lawyers and work hard to relieve you of the burdens forced upon you by a negligent driver.
If you have additional questions, please contact our NYC car accident lawyers at Tucker Lawyers today by calling us at (516) 399-2364.
Our Car Accident Lawyers Explain How to Know Negligence When You See It
CAUSES OF NYC CAR CRASHES USUALLY INVOLVE DRIVER NEGLIGENCE
We’ve used the term “negligence” many times, and you might be wondering exactly what that is under the law. If someone breaks the rules of the road, disregards their duty to drive safely, and causes a car accident, they have likely been negligent behind the wheel. To get an idea of common forms of driver negligence, let’s take a closer look at some of the most common causes of car accidents.
- Impaired driving – Drunk or impaired driving is one of the most common causes of serious car accidents. A driver can be impaired by alcohol, illegal drugs, prescription medication or even over-the-counter drugs.
- Distracted driving – Drivers can be distracted in countless ways – particularly in a busy urban area like New York City. When a driver fails to keep their eyes on the road, their mind on the task of driving and their hands on the wheel, they pose a danger to everyone they share the road with. Though mobile devices are perhaps the most common cause of distraction and a leading cause of crashes, drivers might also be distracted by eating, drinking, looking in the mirror, operating a car radio, talking on the phone or taking on too many passengers.
- Speeding – Though people almost always think of speeding as exceeding a given speed limit, the truth is more complicated than that. Speeding also means driving too fast for the conditions of the road. Work zones, fog, heavy rain, and certainly New York City snow and ice require a responsible driver to slow down. Any driver that is traveling too fast in New York City and causes another motorist harm should be held accountable for their actions.
- Fatigue – Fatigue, or drowsy driving, is a major concern among road safety advocates. Missing just one to two hours of sleep can double a person’s chances of being involved in a motor vehicle accident. Drowsy driving is one of the biggest safety threats in the commercial trucking industry, because truckers often drive for long periods of time without taking a break. Workers on late shifts are also more likely to fall asleep while at the wheel because they are often tired and driving late at night or early in the morning.
- Failing to follow signs and signals – Traffic signs and signals are installed for a very good reason. When someone runs a red light, fails to slow down at a yield sign or ignores other important traffic signs, they are being negligent.
- Failure to signal when turning or changing lanes – One of the first things young drivers are taught in driving school is to always signal their intentions to fellow motorists. If a driver merges suddenly into your lane without signaling, or turns at a light without letting oncoming traffic know their intentions, they can be held accountable for any harm their careless actions have caused.
- Following another vehicle too closely – Another critical lesson that drivers are taught very early on is the importance of leaving adequate space between their own vehicle and the vehicle in front of them. The worse the weather or the faster the speed of the cars, the greater the distance a driver should maintain from a preceding vehicle. Rear-end accidents are often the result of one driver’s following another vehicle too closely.
- Failure to adjust driving to conditions – When the weather is bad or traffic is heavy, drivers are expected to change their driving behaviors. Icy weather and slick or wet roads require a driver to leave more space between their vehicle and the vehicle in front of them. Heavy traffic typically requires slower speeds. When drivers are careless in hazardous conditions, they can be held responsible for any injuries they cause.
You might not know exactly why another driver acted in a way that caused the accident. Nevertheless, if another driver caused you harm and you are suffering painful, costly injuries as a result of their reckless actions — negligence — you have the right to explore your legal options.
No-Fault Car Accident Laws In New York City
In 1973, the New York State Legislature passed what is commonly referred to as the “No-Fault Law” to provide for the economic needs of people injured in car accidents. No-fault coverage will pay for medical bills, prescription costs, household services, transportation to medical providers, and lost wages up to the amount of coverage selected by the policyholder. However, there are many restrictions and filing requirements relating to no-fault laws in New York City, so it is essential that you consult with a car accident lawyer to ensure that you receive all the benefits you are legally entitled to.
Need an NYC Car Accident Lawyer? Turn to Tucker Lawyers.
When you decide to hire a car accident lawyer in NYC, you will have no shortage of options. There are many personal injury attorneys in our city that will want to handle your claim. You should know that not all firms are the same. At Tucker Lawyers, we take a client-first approach. Our priority is getting you the help you need.
If you or a loved one has been injured, you deserve a New York City car accident lawyer that meets you on your terms. Tucker Lawyers offers free consultations to people from Manhattan to Staten Island to the Bronx, and we encourage you to reach out to our firm so we can learn more about your story and help you get on the path to wellness and financial wholeness.
We have a track record of achieving exceptional results for clients. Call a dedicated, trustworthy NYC car accident lawyer today at (516) 399-2364.
”Tom and his team at Tucker were amazing with my case. They were always in touch, never pushy, broke everything down for me and always there if I had questions. After each of my surgeries Tom called to see how I was feeling and checked in regularly on how the healing process was going. Thank you to the Tucker team for making things extremely stress free for me.” – Kelly (Google Review)
Managing Attorney John. J. Tucker, Esq.
John has personally handled thousands of clients who were victims of another’s negligence and fights relentlessly for their rights. John enjoys bringing closure to a client’s matter so that the injured party can move forward with their life. His background enables him to evaluate complex liability related claims and bring resolution to claims in a record time frame. [ Attorney Bio ]