Our Slip and Fall Lawyer in Riverhead Helps Win Compensation
Our Riverhead slip and fall lawyer understands how, in a brief moment, one fall can change your life. Although slip and fall accidents are sometimes dismissed as being minor mishaps, they can cause severe injuries like broken bones, traumatic brain and spinal cord injuries, paralysis, and even death. Survivors may end up suffering, in pain, needing continuing care, and unable to work at a time bills keep mounting. Life may never be the same.
Property owners and managers have a duty to maintain their property in a safe condition and to fix any hazards that they know or should know exist. If they fail to do so, and you or a loved one has been injured or someone has died from a fall on someone else’s property due to another party’s negligence or fault, you may be able to get compensation through insurance or a lawsuit against that individual or entity.
New York property liability laws are complicated, and property owners and their insurance companies have high-powered lawyers on their side trying to deny claims or get you to settle for the lowest amount possible. Fortunately, there is help available from the Riverhead slip and fall lawyer at Tucker Lawyers PC. Each case is different, but our team is experienced in identifying what negligence is and how we can prove your claim.
We offer a free consultation to discuss the circumstances of your case and determine the best way to proceed. We work on a contingency basis, so there are no fees to you until and unless we win your case. Call us today.
How Our Riverhead Slip and Fall Attorney Helps You
Why Choose Us?
There are many attorneys in New York, and it’s important for you to find one you have confidence in and who has the experience necessary to deal with complicated injury situations. Our accomplished legal team at Tucker Lawyers PC has the specialized knowledge and experience to recover the compensation you deserve after a slip and fall injury. Here are some reasons why we think our firm is your best choice:
- We have more than 30 years of experience.
- Our reputation and our entire practice are built on achieving exceptional results while providing the best service possible.
- We get results, such as the $1.35 million we won in a car accident settlement.
- We have helped many satisfied clients. You can read our client testimonials to prove it. An example is the case of Robin, who was hurt in a slip and fall on ice that came from water from a leaking gutter that the owner knew about but didn’t want to pay to fix.
- We help you find medical care for your injuries and document everything.
- We handle all required legal paperwork and court appearances.
- We deal and negotiate with insurance companies, so you won’t have to.
- We are recognized in and give back to the community and have won awards including the AVVO Rating for Excellence in Personal Injury and the Top 100 Settlements for personal injury from Topverdict.com.
- We offer free initial consultations to get you started.
- You pay us nothing unless we win and you get your money.
How We Work for You
When you hire us to represent you after a slip and fall injury, we start working immediately to pursue justice for you. We will:
- Meet with you to hear how your accident happened, who the at-fault parties may be, and determine whether you have a valid case and what it may be worth
- Investigate how your accident happened and gather evidence such as from photos, videos, and police and medical reports
- Interview witnesses and first responders
- Take care of all legal requirements in a timely manner, including filing all paperwork, making court appearances, and handling appeals
- Consult experts to reconstruct the accident and testify as to fault and experts to testify as to how your injuries negatively impact your life and ability to work
- Negotiate with insurance companies and their lawyers for maximum compensation
- Build your case and take it to court if necessary.
Our lawyers have the experience necessary to identify the hazards that led to a slip and fall, to confirm who is responsible for these dangerous property conditions, and to hold them accountable.
Call now (516) 399-2364 to get started
Compensation Our Slip and Fall Attorneys in Riverhead May Recover
When you file a slip and fall premises liability claim, you are demanding payment for the many costs you’re facing. In a successful case, our slip and fall attorneys in Riverhead may win a monetary award called damages, which should cover both your economic and noneconomic losses and expenses.
Economic damages – for financial costs and losses that can be quantified monetarily, such as:
- Medical and rehabilitation bills, current and future
- Lost income from being unable to work
- Property damage.
Noneconomic damages – for damages that do not have a specific dollar value but negatively impact your life, such as:
- Physical and emotional pain and suffering
- Loss of consortium and quality and enjoyment of life
- Disfigurement or permanent loss of limb.
Punitive damages – In some rare cases, where a defendant acted extremely egregiously and recklessly, you may also be awarded punitive damages. These are intended to punish the defendant and to deter such actions in the future.
Amounts of Damage Awards
Damage award amounts can vary widely in a slip and fall accident case, from the thousands to the millions, depending on the factors involved in your individual situation, such as your actual costs and monetary losses and the type, extent, and effects on your life of your injuries and whether they will be permanent and require continuing care.
New York does not have a damage cap for personal injury cases, and the more permanent and severe the injury and the greater the impact on your life, the higher the recovery may be. The skill of your attorneys also plays a major role. Our Riverhead slip and fall attorneys will consider all factors to evaluate what your case may be worth and fight for maximum compensation.
Riverhead Slip and Fall Attorneys Must Prove Negligence
To win your case, your Riverhead slip and fall lawyer must be able to prove that another party, the defendant in the case, was negligent and at fault for causing your accident. Whether the accident occurred on public or private property, establishing negligence legally means showing the existence of the following factors:
- The property owner caused the dangerous conditions that led to your fall.
- They knew about hazardous conditions and opted not to fix them.
- They should have known about the dangerous conditions because a reasonable person would have noticed and fixed them.
A few other factors determine slip and fall liability, including the property owner’s protocol for inspecting the general area and whether the hazard could have been fixed or otherwise remedied before the accident.
At the same time, the defendant’s insurance company may claim that you did something that made you at fault for your spill, such as that you were distracted, using your phone, or not paying attention, or that you ignored posted signage warning of hazardous conditions. Our attorneys would combat these allegations and construct a case for reasonable negligence by gathering evidence and getting accident reconstruction experts to testify that the property owner was negligent. Claims can often be proven through documented records or by proving that no safety records or best practices exist. Most of the proof in reasonable negligence cases comes down to showing what a reasonable person in the property owner’s position would do, which can come down to industry standards, OSHA practices, and plain common sense.
FAQs about Riverhead Slip and Fall Accidents
When you’re hurt after taking a fall, you are bound to have questions and concerns. Our Riverhead slip and fall accident lawyers are here to answer any questions you may have at your free consultation, but here are a few we regularly hear to get you started:
Should I speak to the insurance company?
No. Insurance companies are not your friend and want to deny claims made by plaintiffs or settle for as little as possible. Often, in clear-cut negligence cases, the insurance company will offer a fast settlement for less than the case is worth or try to get you to say something that indicates you were at fault for the fall. If you settle too fast, your medical care will come out of your own pocket. Tell the insurance company to speak to your attorney and let our slip and fall lawyer in Riverhead handle negotiations to cover all damages from your slip and fall injury.
Are there time limits for filing a case for a slip and fall?
Yes. In New York, you generally have three years from the date of the incident to file a claim. If you let this statute of limitations run out, the courts are likely to refuse to hear your case, so contact our Riverhead slip and fall lawyers as soon as possible.
How long will it take to settle my slip and fall case?
The time it takes to settle depends on factors such as the extent of your injuries and whether a settlement can be negotiated or whether the case has to go to trial. Some injuries take time to manifest, and you should complete your medical treatment before settling to ensure all costs and time missed at work are covered.
What if my slip and fall accident happened at work?
If the accident happened while on the job, workers typically can file for workers’ compensation benefits or explore legal claims against at-fault businesses or individuals. Our slip and fall injury lawyers in Riverhead will help you determine what benefits you are entitled to and take care of all processes necessary to ensure you receive them.
What Should I Do After a Slip and Fall Accident?
Right after you’ve fallen, especially if you’re in public, you may be tempted to get up and walk it off because you’re embarrassed. However, you should seek immediate medical attention, stay calm, and call an experienced slip and fall lawyer in Riverhead for advice. Some injuries, such as concussions, won’t necessarily be obvious at first but can later become serious head injuries; if you don’t see a doctor, the insurance company can claim that you weren’t actually hurt. Have a store manager or person in charge fill out an accident report describing the conditions where you fell, and get names of any witnesses. The quicker you contact our slip and fall attorney in Riverhead, the better chance we’ll have to gather evidence to help solidify your claim for damages and medical care.
Managing Attorney John. J. Tucker, Esq.
John has personally handled thousands of clients who were victims of another’s negligence and fights relentlessly for their rights. John enjoys bringing closure to a client’s matter so that the injured party can move forward with their life. His background enables him to evaluate complex liability related claims and bring resolution to claims in a record time frame. [ Attorney Bio ]