Our Segway Accident Attorneys Help Win Compensation
There is something undeniably appealing about Segways. Their effortless motion, upright posture, and steady stride have a distinctly futuristic quality about them. More to the point, they sure look like a lot of fun.
It is no surprise, then, that Segway tours have emerged as popular tourist attractions here in The Big Apple. People visit our great city from all over the world, and they want to make the most of their time here. Segways offer a seemingly comfortable, fun, and efficient way of taking in all of NYC.
Even longtime New Yorkers have been known to hop on a Segway now and then, either for a change of pace or maybe as a novel way of showing visiting friends and family around.
Of course, fun has its limits. The scooter allows the rider to balance on two wheels and has sensors that detect the changes in both rider’s position and changes in the landscape. It operates by moving in whichever direction the rider leans the handles of the scooter. As with roller coasters, recreational vehicles, and other mobile diversionary devices, Segways pose real risks to safety in the absence of proper procedure and adequate care.
Indeed, Segway-style devices have caused serious injuries in New York, and innocent tourists and locals alike have found themselves facing sudden and surprising hardship after a routine tour. Common injuries include broken bones, lacerations, and traumatic brain and spinal cord injuries, and some users of these devices have even lost their lives in horrifying accidents. Survivors may be left with large medical and rehabilitation expenses and unable to work, and their lives may never be the same.
Most of these injuries are preventable. They happen because of negligence, usually on the part of the manufacturer or the touring company that makes these vehicles available to the public. If you or a loved one was injured or someone has died while riding a Segway due to someone else’s negligence or fault, you may be entitled to compensation. However, New York laws are complicated; insurance companies and their lawyers will try to get you to settle for the lowest amount possible, and making mistakes can be costly.
Fortunately, you do not have to fight for fair compensation on your own. The Segway accident attorneys at Tucker Lawyers PC have taken an active interest in the growing problem of Segway-style accidents in NYC and have the experience necessary to help anyone injured in a Segway accident. We believe the responsibility falls on the tour providers to ensure their customers’ safety, and the law agrees. Each case is different, but our legal team knows how to identify what negligence is and how to investigate and prove your claim so you can receive the compensation you are entitled to. We offer a free, no-obligation consultation to discuss the circumstances of your Segway accident and determine the best way to help. Let us handle all legal hurdles involved so you can focus on your recovery.
There are no fees to you unless and until we win a settlement for you, so call us today to get started.
How Our Segway Accident Lawyer Helps You
Why Choose Us?
There are many attorneys in New York, and it’s important for you to find one you have confidence in and who has the experience necessary to deal with the complications that arise when trying to get compensation. Here are some reasons why we think our accomplished Segway accident legal team at Tucker Lawyers PC firm is your best choice:
- We have more than 30 years of experience, and we get results, such as the $1.35 million we won in a car accident settlement.
- We have helped many satisfied clients. You can read our client testimonials to prove it.
- We help you find medical care for your injuries and make sure everything is documented.
- We handle all required legal paperwork and court appearances.
- We deal and negotiate with insurance companies, so you won’t have to.
- We are recognized in and give back to the community and have won awards including the AVVO Rating for Excellence in Personal Injury and the Top 100 Settlements for personal injury from Topverdict.com.
- We offer free initial consultations to get you started.
- Our reputation and our entire practice are built on achieving exceptional results while providing the best service possible.
- You pay us nothing unless we win and you get your money.
How Tucker Lawyers Work for You
When you hire Tucker Lawyers to represent you after a Segway injury, we start working immediately to pursue justice for you. We will:
- Meet with you to hear how the Segway accident happened, who the responsible parties may be, and determine whether you have a valid case and what it may be worth
- Investigate the accident and gather evidence such as from photos, traffic videos, and police and medical reports
- Interview witnesses and first responders
- Take care of all legal requirements in a timely manner, including filing all paperwork, making court appearances, and handling appeals
- Consult experts to reconstruct the accident and testify as to fault and experts to testify as to how your injuries negatively impact your life and ability to work into the future
- Negotiate with insurance companies and their lawyers for maximum compensation
- Build your case and take it to court if necessary.
While Segway and their attorneys will try to do something to make it seem that you were careless and the accident was your fault, our lawyers know how to combat these allegations. We have the experience necessary to identify all potentially liable parties and to hold them accountable.
Get Started Now (516) 399-2364
Segway Crash Lawyers Must Prove Negligence
To win your case, our Segway accident attorneys must prove that another party, the defendant in the case, was negligent and at fault for causing the accident that injured you. This means showing the existence of the following four elements:
- Duty – The defendant owed you a duty of care not to cause harm.
- Breach – The defendant breached this duty by a wrongful act or by inactions.
- Cause – These actions or failure to act caused the accident that harmed you.
- Damages –You suffered damages as a result.
Segway accidents are complicated because there may be several possible defendants involved. For example:
- The tour operator, who may not have provided proper safety instruction and may have rushed you onto the Segway without enough training.
- The company responsible for maintenance on the Segway, if this was not done correctly and poor maintenance caused the accident.
- The motorist who drove recklessly and hit your Segway.
- The manufacturer of the Segway or its parts, if defects caused the accident. For example, in 2006, more than 23,000 Segways were recalled because of a defect that caused them to suddenly travel backwards at high speeds.
If the accident was caused by defects in the Segway, we must prove:
- The Segway had an unreasonably dangerous defect, whether in design, manufacturing, or failure to warn.
- The Segway was being used as intended, but the defect caused your injury.
- The Segway had not been altered substantially in the terms of operation from the way it was originally sold.
Our New York City Segway accidents attorneys will investigate the accident thoroughly to look for defects in the Segway. We will identify all potentially negligent parties and hold them liable as they all may have insurance and assets that can go toward a settlement.
Compensation for Segway Accident Claims
In a successful Segway accident case, our Tucker attorneys will fight for a monetary award called damages. In New York, your damage award should cover both your economic and noneconomic losses and expenses.
Economic damages – are for the monetary costs and losses you have incurred from the accident, such as:
- Medical and rehabilitation bills, current and future
- Lost income from being unable to work
- Property damage.
Noneconomic damages – are for damages that do not have a specific dollar value but negatively impact your life, such as:
- Pain and suffering
- Mental and emotional anguish and distress
- Loss of consortium, quality and enjoyment of life
- Disfigurement or permanent loss of limb.
Punitive damages – In some rare cases, where a defendant acted extremely egregiously and recklessly, you may also be awarded punitive damages. These are intended to punish the defendant and to deter such actions in the future.
Amounts of Damage Awards
There are a wide range of damage award amounts you may receive for a Segway bike accident, from the thousands to the millions, depending on the factors involved in your individual situation. Factors taken into consideration may include:
- your actual costs and monetary losses
- the severity of your injuries, and whether they will require continuing care
- your age, family and earning situation
- whether a wrongful death was involved
- the degree of negligence of the defendants
- the availability of assets and insurance.
New York does not have a damage cap for personal injury cases, and the more permanent and severe the injury and the greater the impact on your life, the higher the damage award may be. The skill of your attorneys also plays a major role. Our Segway accident attorneys evaluate all factors when determining what your case may be worth and fight for maximum compensation.
Segway Wreck Attorneys Answer FAQs
After a traumatic Segway accident, it’s difficult to know where to turn. Our Tucker Segway Wreck attorneys are here to answer all questions at your free consultation, but to get you started, here are a few that our clients often ask.
Should I speak to the insurance company?
No, anything you say can be used against you, so the less you say to an insurance company, the better. Insurance companies are out for profit and will always try to get you to accept the lowest amount possible. They often use tactics such as offering you a quick settlement in return for signing a release, which will prevent your making additional claims in the future, even if your injuries get worse. Tell the insurance adjuster to speak to your attorney, and let Tucker Lawyers PC handle all dealings and negotiations to fight for the full compensation you deserve.
What if I signed a waiver?
The good news is that waivers are not always valid. The extent to which your specific waiver is enforceable will depend on the specific facts and circumstances of your case.
New York City Segway tours often ask their participants to sign an extensive waiver which may be intimidating, confusing, or hard to read. The operators may rush customers through the forms, insisting that they complete them quickly if they wish to join their family and friends on the tour. It isn’t uncommon for people to feel pressured into signing without having a solid understanding of what they’re agreeing to.
Our clients are often surprised to learn that their waivers are not as effective as they thought, so do not make any decisions about your legal rights pursuant to any contract or waiver until you’ve talked with our attorneys.
Are there time limits for filing a Segway accident claim?
Yes. In New York, you generally have three years from the date of the incident to file a claim for personal injury. If you let this statute of limitations run out, the courts are likely to refuse to hear your case, so contact our Segway accident lawyers so we can get started investigating your case as soon as possible.
How long will it take to settle my Segway accident case?
The time it takes to settle depends on individual factors of the case, such as the extent of your injuries and whether a settlement can be negotiated out of court or whether the case has to go to trial. Out of court settlements may be reached in a matter of months, while trials may drag on for years. In addition, some injuries take time to manifest, and it is in your best interests to complete your medical treatment before settling.
Rest assured that Tucker Lawyers PC will be there for you throughout the entire legal process, keeping you informed and answering all questions as they arise.
Call Our Segway Accident Attorney for Help
If you’ve been injured while participating in a New York City Segway tour or any other vehicle accident, Tucker Lawyers PC can help. We offer decades of experience and a proficient, in-depth understanding of not only the relevant issues of law but also the complex technology involved. We have a proven track record of helping people who have been hurt in accidents receive the money that they are entitled to. We will do everything possible to take the burden off you and do the work necessary to get you a settlement. We treat our clients like they are our family and take a client-first approach, so our priority is getting you the help you need.
Call us for a free, no-obligation consultation. If you can’t come to us, we will come to you. We charge no fee unless we recover compensation, so call us today while evidence is fresh and witnesses can be found.
Managing Attorney John. J. Tucker, Esq.
John has personally handled thousands of clients who were victims of another’s negligence and fights relentlessly for their rights. John enjoys bringing closure to a client’s matter so that the injured party can move forward with their life. His background enables him to evaluate complex liability related claims and bring resolution to claims in a record time frame. [ Attorney Bio ]